Master's Degrees - Graduation Requirements
- The student must follow the UNM Catalog in place at the time of his/her admission, plus any additional departmental requirements.
- The student should check his/her academic record (LoboWeb) at the end of each term to ensure that his/her status, degree program, grades and GPA are correct and in compliance with University policies.
- The student must submit a Program of Studies (POS) listing all the courses that apply to the degree. The POS form can be filed at any time after admission but must be filed no later than the term before the student intends to graduate. The specific *deadlines are as follows: March 1 for Summer graduation, July 1 for Fall graduation and October 1 for Spring graduation.
- The student must notify the degree program of his/her intent to graduate the term prior to the term of graduation. The student should confirm additional deadlines with his/her program.
- The student is required to pass a master’s examination and/or thesis defense. The master’s examination may be taken only after the Program of Studies has received approval by the Graduate Dean and only if the student is in good academic standing. The Announcement of Examination form must be submitted to OGS a minimum of two weeks before the scheduled date of the examination. The student must be enrolled in the term the master’s examination is taken.
- The student must satisfy degree requirements (passed master’s exam and/or thesis submission) by the deadlines of July 15 for summer graduation, November 15 for Fall graduation, or April 15 for Spring graduation.
- The student who chooses Plan I/Thesis option must complete a minimum of 6 hours of 599/thesis. Once a student begins enrollment in 599 s/he must enroll in 599 every term (summer term is excluded, except if the student is graduating in the summer) until the manuscript is accepted by OGS.
- The student must meet all thesis requirements. Please refer to the Graduation Checklist form. The thesis must be submitted no later than 90 days after passing the thesis defense, or the term graduation deadline, whichever comes first. Manuscript formatting guidelines are available through this link.
- The student who misses the term graduation deadline, but completes degree requirements by the last day of that term may choose to follow the Courtesy Policy.
*NOTE: Deadlines that fall on a weekend or holiday are automatically moved to the end of the next business day.